Friday, August 12, 2011



Today, practice school ended. On the left is a picture of the room where I had language classes during the three weeks of practice school. On the right is a picture of the 10th grade class that I taught. On the far left of that picture is my partner teacher Lidia. She is nice, but has trouble understanding me because of my American accent.

My students were all very good. They provided interesting answers to the questions I asked them. On the test, I asked them how they would change the education system in Moldova and they all gave interesting answers. I enjoyed reading them when I was grading the tests. Although I enjoyed teaching during practice school, planning was a pain. So, I am glad practice school is done.

Finishing practice school is only one of two big milestones that I needed to complete before I can be sworn in as a volunteer. The second is receiving a score of intermediate low on my language proficiency interview (LPI). I have the test Tuesday morning. My plan is to spend time this weekend studying for it.

On Sunday, I have my host family conference. At the conference, I will sign a contract with my host family stating how many meals I will eat with them, what I will pay for and how much I will pay, and other relevant details. It will be nice to get those details worked out, but hopefully the conference will not contain any long talks. Either way, if all goes as planned, the conference should be over at two, so at least I will have the rest of the afternoon to enjoy or to spend studying for my LPI.

Assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens, I should swear in as a volunteer on Wednesday morning. I have already signed a copy of the oath I will have to agree to on Wednesday. After the swearing in ceremony and reception, I will be taken to my permanent site in the northern part of Moldova. I will have internet when I get there, but I don't know when I will be back in Chisinau.

Only 5 more days to go until I am a volunteer. After a long summer, it is nice that the end of training is almost here. When I go to my village, I will be the only American for miles, so on Wednesday, the adventure really begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment