Saturday, July 30, 2011

Practice School and Softball Fun

Starting last Monday, I began teaching students. During training all English Education volunteers participate in something called practice school. Basically, for the first half, we work with a resource teacher. The resource teachers are experienced Moldovan teachers who have worked with Americans before. For the past week, and until this Tuesday, I have been teaching 6th graders. My classes haven't been too large. Initially, I only had six students, but by Friday I had twelve. I'm not sure how many I will have on Monday and Tuesday. It was really nice to have a chance to get used to teaching a little with only a few students, but it is definitely more fun with more. Tomorrow I am giving the students a test. On Tuesday, they will get their results and I will ask for their feedback about how they think the class went.
On Wednesday, my future partner teacher will be coming to my village. We will be partner teaching a group of 10th graders. I don't know how many students I will have yet. Hopefully planning will go smoothly.
Yesterday, a group of Peace Corps volunteers put on a softball game. I was able to participate. It was at a field behind the school where I have been teaching. I got to play a couple of different positions and had a few chances to hit. My team lost, but I still had a really good time. After the game, I went to a Greek restaurant with some other trainees to celebrate someone's birthday. The food was really good, and added some nice variety to my diet.
Other than that, practice school has been keeping me pretty busy. I am really happy that it is going as well as it is though. I have managed, in general, to speak slow enough for my students. Tomorrow school begins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment