Sunday, August 14, 2011

Host family conference and Harry Potter

Today was a long day.

In the morning, all the English and Health education trainees had a meeting with their host families to discuss living arrangements at our permanent sites. My host father wasn't there, but my host sister was, so I made the arrangements with her. Luckily, I was able to ask all the questions I had through a Peace Corps Volunteer who was able to translate for me. I might have been able to do it on my own, but it was nice to be certain about what we were both agreeing to. I was able to understand most of what my host sister said in Russian which was nice. The conference didn't last too long. Afterwards, some of us walked over to a nearby supermarket.

Some people went to the store to shop for food so that they could cook for their families. I thought about doing the same, but I can't really make any interesting foods that they haven't already eaten. I did buy my lunch there though. We ate our lunch in a nearby park once everyone had finished buying what they needed.

Then, when everyone had finished eating, most of the group I was with went home. I, on the other hand, went to a close movie theater to see the newest Harry Potter movie. I had already watched it on my computer, but I wanted to see if it was any different/better on the big screen in 3-D. In my opinion it was basically the same. It might have been better if I had watched it in English instead of in Russian. I understood some of the dialogue, but not a lot. If you haven't seen the movie, but like Harry Potter, I would recommend seeing it.

The movie theater itself was very nice. From what I could tell, there was only one theater, or at least only one large one. Instead of getting to choose your own seats like you can in the United States, everyone had an assigned seat. I didn't fully realize this until someone told me that I was sitting in their seat. I ended up eventually finding my seat. I was surprised that I was not able to choose my own seat and that they didn't ask me where I wanted to sit, given that I couldn't choose it myself. Oh well. The movie cost about 5 dollars (cheap for movies in the US, but expensive for me in Moldova). Despite the differences, and the fact that the movie was in Russian, I enjoyed my outing.

Things are finally finishing up. I have one more day of sessions in Chisinau and my language proficiency interview. As I've said before, I become an official Peace Corps Volunteer. I almost can't believe that training is coming to a close. Although each day was long, the summer seems to have gone by fast. Yet at the same time it seems like ages ago that I was sitting in the Manchester airport waiting for my flight to Philadelphia. After I get to my permanent site, things will begin anew.

More to come once I arrive in the North.

No comments:

Post a Comment