Thursday, August 18, 2011

Swearing in and Move to site


8/17/2011


Today I became a volunteer. The ceremony wasn't too long. Before the ceremony started, we were all sworn in with the oath that is used for all government offices. At the beginning of the ceremony the ambassador to Moldova swore us in with the Peace Corps Moldovan oath. It was kind of funny to be sworn in twice, but I guess that is how it needs to be.

During the ceremony, two people from my group (M26s) gave a speech. One person gave a speech in Russian and the other gave a speech in Romanian. I didn't understand all of either one, which is to be expected given that both had help writing it from their language training instructors (LTIs).

Someone from the Moldovan government also gave a speech. He gave his in Romanian so I only understood some of the words. Two M25s (the previous group of volunteers, now beginning their second year) directed the events. Some of the various directors spoke. The education and health program managers delivered their speeches in Romanian also. When the country director and director of programming and training spoke one of the Moldovan administrative assistants translated. I felt bad for her because she had to translate so much. After the ceremony, there was a short reception, and then I was driven to my village.

The drive to my village from Chisinau takes about 3 hours by car, though it went by pretty fast this most recent time. On the way we stopped and had a late lunch/ a snack. My school director had hired a van for me so we were free to stop when we liked. I think she hired a van because of all my stuff. However, I think it would have fit in a car. I only had one more bag and when I was driven to the airport before I left the US it all fit in a car. It was nice that there was more than enough space for it all though.

When I got to my village, I basically just put all my stuff in my rooms and got out my computer. I watched some TV on my computer and then went to bed around 10.

The education volunteers after being sworn in the first time
(On the right in the middle row is the country director (the man in the suit), on the left in the red/maroon jacket is the programming and training director)

8/18/2011

Today I went to Drochia, the raion (think county) center closest to my town. I had to get some things and withdraw money from my Peace Corps bank account so I could pay my host family for August. I had some trouble finding the ATM. It turns out there is one right by the bus station, but I did not know that until I had already walked around town and asked some people for directions. Oh well, at least now I know where it is.

After I went to the ATM, I went to the central market. I got a trashcan, hangers, and hand soap. There are still some things I think I need, but they will have to wait until maybe Saturday. I was at the bus stop again by like 10am, and waited for a bus that I thought would be there at 11. However, it never showed up. As luck would have it, the peace corps volunteer who has been living in Drochia showed up at the bus station. He was able to help me get back to my village. What I had to do was take a bus to the town near mine. I got off the bus there and then got a ride. I knew the van was going to Cotova because some Moldovans got in it. I just followed what they were doing and then let the driver know that I wanted to be dropped off near the school. I never felt concerned for my safety and was able to get back to my village. Although things did not go exactly as planned, I would consider my first trip to Drochia a success.

When I got home, I began the unpacking process. It has been hard for me to find a spot for all my stuff. I know I will, but the process has taken a long time.

Tomorrow work begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment