Friday, August 19, 2011

A Moldovan Birthday party


Today I went to someone's birthday party. I went to a meadow with my host father, his friends/neighbors, and their children. Apparently it was one of the kid's birthday. In the meadow we ate grilled chicken, cake, cheese, and some other beverages. The people talked to me in Russian, and while I understood some of it, there was much more I didn't understand. Regardless, I had a nice time.

After eating in the meadow, we went to one over their houses and ate some more food and cake. I had some fish. I didn't really like it, but apparently it was sort of a special kind of fish. The people had a really nice computer. I continue to find it incongruous that Moldovans can have really nice electronics but still only have a very simple outhouse. It kind of reminds me of my situation in Kenya where I had no running water but the family had a DVD player. Maybe it has something to do with the ability of the central government to provide essential services. Seriously, when I got to the house, the children were playing Counterstrike on the computer. After some more food, I finally returned to my house. It was really nice that people were excited to meet me. So far, my experience in Cotova has been very different from my experience in Truseni.

Below are some pictures from the day. They are mostly of me because they were taken by somebody else.
my host father is sitting to me left in the last picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment