Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Return to Chisinau

10/9/2011-11/9/2011: Visit to Chisinau

10/9/2011

I spent this weekend in Chisinau, primarily for a meeting of one of the volunteer run groups. This one is called RISE. RISE works with Moldovans and Roma within Moldova to help combat stereotypes and help reduce inequality and discrimination between the two groups. Roma is the correct term for gypsies. I missed the first part of the meeting because of my bus schedule, but the meeting seemed to cover logistics and be a brainstorming meeting.

You may have noticed the date, and thought "what was Courtney doing in Chisinau for a whole month?" The answer is that because I have to teach the date the British way, with the day and then the month, I have decided to do that for this post. I might do it for future posts, but I am not sure.

Anyway, after the RISE meeting, I went to lunch with some fellow volunteers, some of whom were from my training, and all were from my program, English Education. We went to a restaurant near the center of Chisinau and had pizza and talked. It was nice to talk to other volunteers after a couple of weeks on my own. It was a good opportunity to discuss our common problems. Later on we met up with some other people and went to a restaurant to hear a band play. One of the band members is the current safety and security head for Peace Corps Moldova. Later on, a couple of us went to the hostel that we were staying at near Malldova.

11/9/2011:

Today marked ten years since the attacks on the two towers and the pentagon, along with the deaths of the passengers aboard United 93. It was interesting to reflect on what my life was like ten years ago and compare it with today. For example, 10 years ago I wasn't even in high school yet, and now I have finished college and am living in Moldova halfway around the world teaching English. I also realized that only people 7 years younger than me would remember the attacks. It is strange to be old enough to remember a significant event like that, but be one of the youngest people that are able to do so.

Anyway, to commemorate the attacks, some of the students from another volunteer's school went to the embassy and laid flowers and lit candles. It was a nice showing of support from children who were barely old enough to remember the attacks and aren't from America. It just shows the global impact of the events of that day.

Later on, I made my way back to Peace Corps headquarters, hung around for a bit, and then walked over to the North bus station. Moldova is a really beautiful country so I enjoyed looking out my window on the trip back to my village. I enjoy being around other volunteers, but at the same time I am glad I am a little isolated so I can have a unique experience. One of the reasons I am glad I joined the Peace Corps is because I get the chance to be totally immersed in another culture. I would miss out on that chance if I were able to see other Americans whenever I wanted. Besides, I can still be in touch with them and people back home via the internet.

I don't know when I will go back to Chisinau, but I am glad I am far enough away to have something of a genuine Peace Corps experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment