Saturday, September 24, 2011

Hitchhiking in Moldova

24/9/2011:

Today I needed to go to the nearest town. The only buses that go there leave at 7 and 12pm. I wanted to go there around 10:00. My only option was to hitchhike. In the United States that would be unusual. However, here hitchhiking seems completely normal. If there is no bus, then you wave down a car to take you where you need to go. Unlike in the United States, hitchhiking isn't a free ride. Usually I pay what it would cost if I were to take a bus from where I am to where I want to go. For example, from my village to the village on the main road it would cost about 2 lei (about 20 cents). Typically, I haven't had to pay for that leg of the trip. To get from that village to the main town, I usually pay 8 lei. Those drivers willingly take my money.

So, how you ask does one wave down a car? You stick out your arm, and if a car is willing to give you a ride, then they stop, if they are not willing to, they keep going. Then you hop in. Sometimes, the car will stop to pick up other people too. For example, this morning, the car I was taking to the nearest town stopped a few times to pick up other passengers. It makes sense. The more people they have in their car, the more money they make. A driver will get 32 lei if they have four passengers compared to just 8 if they only have one.

It is also completely common for people to get from the main road to my village by hitchhiking. I have yet to be the only one in the car. Instead of having a regular bus service, people make use of other people. So, as I have learned, in Moldova hitchhiking is completely normal and costs money. In the United States it is uncommon and free. Maybe it is more common in Moldova because people trust each other more. It could also be that there is more of a need because people in Moldova live in remote locations but can't afford cars. The government may also not be able to afford to provide public transit. So, if you miss the bus in Moldova, and want to get somewhere, just stick out your arm when you see a car and ask if he or she is going where you want to go.

I also learned to today that Tic Tacs do exist in Moldova. When I did my grocery shopping, I bought some.


No comments:

Post a Comment