Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mom in Moldova

Thursday, May 31st, 2012,

After an eventful day at school, I returned home to relax until my mom arrived. She was supposed to arrive arrive around 6:00, but instead acme much sooner. She had managed to hitchhike to my village and ask someone which street I lived on. When she arrived my host mother served food. She did not serve everything she had planned since my mother arrived earlier than she had thought, but she did serve traditional Moldovan food. It was nice seeing my Mom after not seeing her in person for almost a year.

After eating, we walked around my village. I showed her some of the stores I usually shop at and a spring I had not been to before. When we got back, my host mother served some more food.

Friday, June 1st, 2012,

On Friday, my mom and I got up early and caught the 8:00 bus to the village near mine called Zgurita. There we waited for the bus to Soroca, which came at around 9:00. In Soroca, we visited the fortress. Here are some pictures from our visit:
       
Soroca Fortress
Inside the Fortress
View from one of the windows
View across the fortress
An old Chapel
Caves in the Fortress
The view of Ukraine
   \









After the fortress we walked around Soroca and saw a lot of the city including a statue of Stefan Cel Mare.


We also saw people boarding a boat to cross the border to Ukraine. After that, we made our way to the bus station and got on a bus to my village. It started raining very hard when we arrived in my village, but we were rewarded with a rainbow.





Saturday, June 2nd, 2012,

Today was a relaxing day. We had the opportunity to sleep in. We planned to go see a museum in my village, but instead my host mother gave us a tour of the village. We had seen most of the things in our previous walk around the village, but my host mother gave us some additional information about the things we saw. We went to bed relatively early because we had to catch an early bus the following day.

Monday, June 4th, 2012,

We arrived in Chisinau on Sunday and went to see Russian reggae in the evening. On Monday, we spent some time talking to guests at our hostel and then went to Peace Corps. I introduced my Mom to various Peace Corps Moldova staff. Afterwards, we went to the History and Archaeology museum. The museum was decent, but not great. We then returned to Peace Corps to catch a cab to the airport. That evening, we caught a plane to Athens that went through Cyprus. I had a good time showing Moldova to my mom.








1 comment:

  1. It’s never too early to think about the Third Goal. Check out Peace Corps Experience: Write & Publish Your Memoir. Oh! If you want a good laugh about what PC service was like in a Spanish-speaking country back in the 1970’s, read South of the Frontera: A Peace Corps Memoir.

    ReplyDelete