Friday, October 14, 2011

Hram Day

14/10/2011:

Today my village celebrated their hram day. It was less exciting than I expected. In preparation, my host mother spent the previous day preparing by working on the house and cooking copious amounts of food. Today, starting at about 1, my host mother's relatives came over. At about 3:30 everyone was here, and we ate food. The cold food was put out at the same time while the warm food was put out later. The cold food consisted of sausage, chicken, some sort of potato salad, mushrooms, and fish. Later, a bread like thing and some stuffed peppers were brought out. Afterwards, cake and cookies were brought out. Everything was tasty, although I wish there had been more warm food. My house has been sort of cold and the warm food would have helped. 10 people were at the masa (feast). My host mother has two brothers so I think their families were there. There were two elderly people. One of them was my host mother's mother. The older man could have been her father, but I don't really know for sure. I was surprised I wasn't clearly introduced to more of them. Oh well. Now that hram day is over, everyone in my village will be a lot less busy. Hopefully I will be able to start an English club soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment