Wednesday, August 15, 2012

From Vienna to Cotova

8/5/2012: Back to Moldova

We got up in time to have breakfast and take a taxi to the airport. Dad and Karen checked- in first at air lingus and then we went to a different terminal so that I could check in on Austrian Air, or rather an Air Moldova flight operated by Austrian Air. When I checked-in I was offered 250 euro to take a later flight. I accepted, but as it turned out I didn't qualify because I was not technically flying Austrian Air. Regardless, Dad, Karen, and I parted ways basically as soon as I had checked in. They went through security towards my gate and they went towards theirs. I had a long time before my flight so I just relaxed at my gate and enjoyed the free wifi. While I was there, I met some British people. They were a church group coming to Moldova to spend a week doing missionary work. On my way to my gate I won a 2 euro coupon by throwing a ball at a wall. On the wall were different monetary values ranging from 1 euro to 4. Shortly before my flight boarded, I bought a panini from a stand near my gate. It was very good, and probably the last one I will have for a while. Anyways, my flight to Moldova was fairly short, only a couple of hours. The plane was normal size though and I had no problem fitting my carry-on under the seat in front of me. Since my backpack is kind of large, I had trouble on the two small planes I was on heading to Hungary. When I arrived in Moldova I took a cab to the hostel. I got ripped off by about 30 lei because I didn't wait to ask for a cab until I was outside. Luckily, 30 lei is less than 3 dollars. I arrived at the hostel early in the day so I amused myself by talking to other people that were staying at the hostel.

8/6/2012: Back to Cotova
Already in Moldova, I was basically home. I took a shower but had some difficulty because the water ran out for part of the time. There hadn't been much rain all summer and I wonder if that had something to do with it. Either way, the lack of water made the shower less pleasant than I had hoped. Afterwards, I went to the mall for a quick lunch and a Dr. Pepper. Then I went to Peace Corps to relax for a bit before I took a cab to the Gara de Nord (the northern bus station). There I got on the rutiera (minibus) that would take me to the nearest town and to my village. Overall, I had a nice time with Dad and Karen and a very nice trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment